Saturday 26 January 2019

Mumbai Pune Mumbai



(February 2017)

I wasn't a complete stranger to Mumbai when I moved here two weeks back. On the contrary, it's where I was born. After spending 23 years of my life in Pune, I moved to my uncle’s house in Mumbai for an internship.

I didn’t read too much into it until my little cousin asked me the other day, “which city do you like more – Pune or Mumbai?” My answer should have been Pune, undoubtedly, but I said, “it’s too soon to tell. I have spent 23 years of my life in Pune and just two weeks in Mumbai. It's not fair to compare my connection with both the cities.” Though I seemed to have dodged the question, it got me thinking.

Being brought up in Pune, I am fond of the peace and serenity that place offers. Its charm, its calmness, and moderately lazy but culturally rich and tasteful lifestyle is part of me now. Yet there has always been this inexplicable attraction towards Mumbai.

My family had decided to shift to Pune before I turned 1. So, till two weeks back, I had seen Mumbai only through the window of our car during our occasional visits to all the relatives in Mumbai. Whatever I knew about the city was through my family’s animated descriptions and vivid portrayals of Mumbai in movies. Though Mumbai has always been my second home, the city had remained unknown to me.

But now, here I am. Getting the first-hand experience of the city. I am starting to realize that all those things that I read or heard about the city (good and bad), were not really exaggerated. Mumbai has the potential to make you fall in love with her (I don’t know why but for me, it’s a “she”!).

She is definitely not green but she is beautiful. She really is fast-paced. Yes, she never sleeps. She is indeed a mix of all the cultures. But what sets her apart is her character. If you get stuck in her speed, you’ll keep running. If you fall in her whirlpool, you’ll keep spinning. If you crib about her, you’ll keep crying.  But if you just step back for a moment, you’ll see her.

I love that she doesn’t judge me. She doesn’t stare at me till I feel conscious. She acts ignorant. But she cares a lot. Whenever I find myself confused or in trouble, I find help in some form or the other. She lets me be carefree and takes care of the rest.

A lot of people to care for, right? Maybe that’s why she cries so much, four months of the year. To let it all out. Cries her heart out. So much so that the people get scared. So, when she stops, she spends the rest of the time pacifying them. I haven’t seen her monsoon yet but I am glad that, at least, I get to see her now. I get to find my parents’ young selves here. I get to see my brother’s childhood. And I am certain that someday, somewhere in her love and care, I will get to meet my long-lost grandfathers too.

I am just glad that now I have an opportunity to explore myself in Mumbai and Mumbai in me.  Though it’s too soon to tell which city I like more, I am glad to have spent so many years in Pune and to have come here now to find the missing piece. Pune has given me peace and Mumbai gives me pace.

My cousin probed further (that’s her favourite hobby), “so which city would you choose to live in, permanently?” Surprising myself, without a second’s delay, I said, “it doesn’t matter. I will be happy anywhere life takes me”. The more I think about my answer, more it makes sense. I always wondered how my parents managed to come to Pune and appreciate its beauty while they loved Mumbai so much. But now, I see it. It doesn’t matter which city you choose to stay in. The city you grew up in, the city you absolutely adore or the city you have desperately fallen in love with, has already clawed its way inside your heart and has created its own magical happy place.

Bottom line – it simply doesn’t matter what mould I am poured into, I am already a perfect brew of Mumbai & Pune!!! 

8 comments:

Letting go

"Yaar, matlab main kar sakti hu but mere se ab ho nahi payega" This was the first thing I heard as soon as Shreya opened the door....